Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 316 Msport Spark plugs & misty lenses help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KieranB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 316 Msport Spark plugs & misty lenses help
    Posted: 29-October-2013 at 21:47
Hi All looking for a bit of brain picking here on 2 points:

With all the rain i've notice condensation build up on my fog light and headlight, a seal must be away,, I assume but how to rid this once for all? Can you buy new seals or is it a new light unit job?

Second one is car has been running a bit hesitant at times so changing plugs as first port of call, just wondering if anyone can advise on gap adjustment, I imagine they arent correct right out the box? Bosch iridium tip ones from Euros.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Sponsored Links

Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 23:09
Hey Kieran. Just happened to notice its your birthday so many happy returns.

My e46 coupe used to do the same when I washed the headlights. As I know it's a common problem. I know that when I had my Vauxhall Astra they used to do the same. The common fix here was to attach sillica gel in a hidden place within the headlight to soak up the water/mist. If It worked I never know. I am sure the rubber seal/gasket will be the cure.

The spark plugs should be set to the right gap but still better measure it. I am sure a quick google will find the correct gap.

E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 23:14
According to my haynes manual for the e46 all spark plug gaps should be 1.6mm
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
KieranB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KieranB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 23:27
Hi Robin,
Thanks for the pointers there, yes b day today and week off so some tinkering getting done to the car.
Will update with outcomes on the headlight misting.
Thanks again.
andybeemer74 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andybeemer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2013 at 10:47
My E36 had the same prob with headlights misting up I was told to run them for a while with the rear plastic covers off this worked and they cleaned up great I put the covers back on in the summer

Half Jock :-)
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2013 at 16:13
Originally posted by andybeemer74 andybeemer74 wrote:

My E36 had the same prob with headlights misting up I was told to run them for a while with the rear plastic covers off this worked and they cleaned up great I put the covers back on in the summer

Yes my e46 was not to bad but if you keep it running it clears and i have the same prob on my e36 if i keep the lights on it just gos away but then i re sealed them and that worked too, as Andy has said take the backs off you be fine..on saying that the rain has been so bad 

M3 Evo 4 door
KieranB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KieranB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2013 at 16:54
Thanks for the replies folks, on the off chance its dry this weekend i will try taking the backs off and running them and see how i get on.
cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic